Monday, August 13, 2007

It's Trial and Error

"Let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance."
-Proverbs 1:5

"Can't you just say you're sorry?" Matthew murmured.
I quickly batted back with a "I will say I'm sorry when I think what I've done is wrong..."

I am quickly learning the importance of a humble heart.
It's okay to be wrong. The hardest part is admitting it. Can we really expect to gain wisdom if our own pride gets in the way? No. Although criticism can sometimes feel uncomfortable, it is mandatory to self-development. It's not exactly enjoyable to hear others tell you what you need to work on- however, its necessary.

I want to be a sponge, soaking up everything that God has to teach me for that day. As Proverbs advices, you need to find disciples, mentors, fellowship- surrounding yourself with people who can sprinkle some light on the path before you.

There is never a point when any of us can "know it all." Christ came so that we may have access to His knowledge on how to live in this chaotic life. If we were always right, there would be no need for His Word.
Error is part of development and learning from those errors is not merely a part of this life...it IS this life. Without it, there's no growth. No matter how bad it hurts when I fail, its comforting to know that there is always a lesson to follow--if my heart is simply humble enough to learn it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd recommend purchasing the Five Languages of Apology by Dr. Gary Chapman and Dr. Jennifer thomas. It's very helpful when learning to say you're sorry and takes a honest, godly approach to apologizing.

Anonymous said...

This post made me think about a book entitled, "The Five Languages of Apology", written by Gary Chapman and Jennifer Thomas. It really challenged me to re-think my attempts to apologize and to restore a relationship. Very helpful, very biblical. You should check it out!