Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Lessons from 3-Year Olds




In a hustled manner, my feet swished back and forth, trying to keep up with my racing thoughts. I whipped the corner and saw a bubble floating up above, then another, then another. On my tuesday-thursday route to class, I pass a day care. The typical scene if filled with at least one screaming child, but not today. Today they had bubbles! Each kid squealed as the teacher blew these round wonders up into the endless sky. They reached up as high as they could to catch as many as possible.

I was instantly jealous. Children have something I will never truly have: undamaged hearts. They enjoy life's simplicity and reach up high, without fear of the future.
Their love has not grown cold. Their faith is uncalloused. They've lost the sense of self that dominates so much of what we do as adults. I want to be there again.

Lord, today, I want to have the heart of a child---free to laugh without hesitation, free to trust those who are bigger than me, free to be myself in each moment.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this is like poetry...make me want to break open the bubbles & play :o)

thanks for the sweet comment on my blog! i look forward to having more time so i can get a closer look at yours ;o)

Angela Fielding said...

Oh my gosh- you are a beautiful writer as well as a great photographer. Lucky Duck! Writing is not one of my fortes. So I am jealous of others that articulate themselves so well. I just read thru your last few entries. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I bet it will be a gorgeous day! You make a darling couple!

Anonymous said...

You are so right.. wow.. how do we end up that way.. why do we let that happen? how do we keep our children from that from losing that wonderful joy of the simple things?? thanks for reminding me