Sunday, December 2, 2007

The What If Game

I play this all the time.
What if I had been brave enough to chase my dreams and run off to the East Coast? What if I hadn't met Matt, would I have discovered my love for photography? What if I had the courage to say 'yes' at the option of singing at that wedding?

The list goes on, it's endless. For once, I want to flip over the lose-a-turn card so my mind can catch a break from this exhausting game. The redundancy of the question leaves me standing in a danger zone. Entertaining the idea of a life that is different than the one Ive chosen is an idle trap. We are where we are for a reason, I believe in divine positioning rather than a series of coincidences strung together to compose one life.

"Our minds get blown away by thoughts of aliens and other worlds but my mind is blown away by possibility that maybe this was made for me, for lying on my back in the middle of a field- to look up and see that God loves me that much. The Psalms say that the stars speak every language so that NO man goes without hearing God." ----Sara Groves

This quote moved me to tears when I heard her say it. We are a small freckle on the Savior's great map. But He notices us. He cares enough to number our days and memorize how many hairs are on our heads. He is in the air around us each day. Each second. And when we feel overwhelmed by the possibilities or feel burdened from second guessing ourselves, we can just look up and be humbled by the number of the stars in the midnight sky.
Suddenly, the what-if game loses its appeal.

Maybe this was made for me.

Maybe my life is merely a path, filled with God-ordained steps for me to take.
I'm tired of asking WHAT IF, I want to appreciate WHAT IS.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

**This photo was taken last winter in the majestic mountains surrounding Boulder Colorado.

9 comments:

Kenzie Shores Photography said...

AMEN!
kenzie

THE PARSONS said...

WOW! We can't even tell you how many times the what if's echo through our heads as well - we've been doing this about the same amount of time as you, and you are right - it does get frightening, and then there is a place where we have to rest - the same thing sara groves talks about. Keep up the dreaming and the good work!

.E. said...

never look back.. never second guess.. your life is exactly where its supposed to be... you can get sucked into all the whatif's..enjoy the todays and the whats next.. ( and yes you would of Met Matt anyway.. its written in the stars.. true love is )

Jerry in Tampa said...

Very wise.... I think we all have similar thoughts.... Love yur images! Glad I found you!

Jerry in Tampa

lauren Zaffos Photography said...

You have such a beautiful heart and a wonderful gift with words. The WHAT IS approach is EXACTLY what He calls us to ask, to live, and to be.

Angela Fielding said...

Very well written!! Thanks for that!

Lisa Christine Photo said...

Thank you so much for your kind words. :)
This is a very encouraging post!

Jennifer Owens said...

What a powerful post, definitely made me think about my own what ifs. (o:

annakate elizabeth davis said...

Hi my name is stephanie and i just found your blog you left a comment on my old blog before i sold my portrait business, thanks so much for your comment and thanks for being so transparent in the post above and know that He will take care of you.