Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Great Expectations

I was headed on my usual path home, but i got lost in the music... I took a hasty right turn into a neighborhood filled with crisply polished lawns and 3-car garages. While in college, during a thoughtful night I would drive way out into the country and let my mind wander freely.
.......What type of family lives in that refined white house? Do they love each other? ........Is their life similar to how they expected it would be?
I found a warming comfort in the feeling of the chilling air running through my car as it chased out sound waves of music. Dreaming is medicine for my soul.

Is my life all that I expected it to be? Most certainly not. Do I often feel trapped by the burden of doubt or anticipation? Of course, new beginnings will do that to you. I've come to the conclusion that the burden of doubt is mostly a result of expectations. I commonly use expectations as an excuse for self-preservation. If I expect the worst....I take no risk. If I expect the best, I could be in for a series of let-downs. Where is the safe realm of expectations? More importantly, what are we allowed to expect from humans without turning out disappointed at the end of the day?

Maybe God has laid this on my heart to reveal that when we expect from others, we forget to expect from ourselves. Suddenly the matters of our own heart are replaced by idealizations of what we believe someone else should be doing. Leaps of faith are necessary, the result at the end is not the important part, but rather the journey to get there.

The only person holding the pen to write the script of my life is God. I might try to scratch through some of the lines He has written every now and then, but ultimately the ending will take form exactly as the Author planned.

This is one thing I can expect.

Photobucket

I need to take a lesson from nature. This big guy doesn't seem to concern himself with worries or doubts. As Matthew 6 says, if God plans out the life of a bird, surely He cares for His own children.
*Credits for this beautiful bird shot go to Matt. He spotted him in the tree a few mornings ago and snapped it with our 70-200mm. :)

12 comments:

lauren Zaffos Photography said...

Hi.

So I love your writing. I think I could read your words all day, you just have such a wonderful craft. :)

Expectations are so trapping. Have you ever read, "The Bait of Satan"? It talks a LOT about how our expectations often bring us into such a let down...I think you put it so graciously, "Suddenly the matters of our own heart are replaced by idealizations of what we believe someone else should be doing..." So TRUE.

Anyways, we should book our date on that Friday of March. I'm excited to have girls' evening:)

Hope your week is going splendid!
Blessings,
Lauren

Kara Pennington Photography said...

I can definitely relate :) It's scary taking on new things - not knowing if our expectations will be met or if we'll be successful. But it's so true that God is in control at all times and nothing is impossible for Him! God is good!!

Have an awesome day!

Kara

Renee Booe said...

God has gifted you with a beautiful spirit. Even though we do not know each other I can see who you are in Him. I love your writing. Thanks for sharing your insite.

Sara Bradshaw said...

You are girl after my own heart! I love to drive aimlessly and listen to music while letting thousands of thoughts race through my mind!

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

i LOVE this post!!!! your writing is fantastic! i used to do that same thing. i'd drive around aimlessly and ponder the lives of all the people in their homes, cars, playgrounds ect. that i pass. many blessings to you in your lifes journey!

Ashley said...

Can I just say WOW! You have a gift and I feel honored that I can call you a dear friend. Your writing calms my heart and I know the Lord continues to use you in my life. I had a wonderful weekend, we will do it again soon! Love ya sister!

Sara Bradshaw said...

I will definately give you a call next time I am there! I actually thought about it but it was such a quick trip! But...next time for sure!

Angie Penrose said...

Hey Rachel....thanks for sharing such a neat post. Love the part from Matthew 6. It's such a comforting thought. Hope you're doing well. :)

kymberli q. said...

Beautiful post. I feel the same way - I can worry all I want, but God already has the last page written and He is the only one who knows how it's going to turn out. I hope it's a very happy, long book, though. :)

Love Matthew 6. Not sure if I've ever read that before - if I had, it didn't impact me like it did tonight.

Thank you. :)

Melissa Koehler said...

So very true! I feel this way all the time, and need to step back and know that God is in control.
Thank you for your words

Mark Brooke Photographers said...

WOW that brought me back down to earth! such wounderful words ...the sot is wonderful too :)

-mark

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

have a wonderful and blessed valentine's day rachel!