Sunday, January 20, 2008

It Takes Two, Baby.

The weather here has been stormy and freezing cold. It gives Matthew and I a chance to stay in, snuggle by the fire, and eat cookies and milk. Last night we had a movie night and watched Stardust. If you haven't seen it yet you should-- it's an enchanting film.

All this quality time is surfacing the fact that living with someone can be tough. Someone I love so passionately has the ability to make me feel strongly capable of great things and also has the power to crush my spirit with one misinterpreted comment. I'm quickly noticing that love can bring out the best and the worst in me. You're used to having things your way when it's just you. Suddenly another person slides in, and those towels you neatly folded aren't so neat anymore. The midnight trip to the bathroom you used to take with no problem now ends with your butt falling into the bowl because someone *no names* forgot to put the seat down. The lesson is in learning to bend. At what point do I remove the death grip I have on the guns in my holsters and realize that love is bigger than just me?

I believe that most of love is about rolling to the middle. At the end of the day when the lights fade, do we stay tucked away in our separate corners or do we neglect pride and meet in the middle?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

14 comments:

.E. said...

it is an adjustment... you will find your rythm your pace.. like dancing.. .your steps will all fall into place soon enough..

Sara Bradshaw said...

Wow, Racheal you are an amazing writer and photographer! I have been married for about 4 years now and today was a rough day! Your words really liffted my spirit and allowed me to swollow my pride, step out the back door, tackle my husband and kiss him like nothing was wrong! Thank you for that!

kristin root said...

that voice in the back of your head saying "what the heck did i just do" is completely normal - at least in my opinion. :) love your honesty...

Kenzie Shores Photography said...

Here are a few things John and I have learned in our 2 years marriage and 8 years of dating...(1.) God first, and this helps so much especially in an argument, I always pray "Lord, let them be your words and not mine, because mine could cut like a sword right now, lol" (2.) They say to never go to bed angry, but sometimes, you just need to sleep on it, and in the morning, things that you were so upset about, seem to be so small and silly. (3)date night date night date night (4)when annoyed, think of something that is quirky about you that has got to annoy him, and he has yet to say anything about it...and last but not least (5)COMMUNICATION. I can't stress that one enough, hahaha. I've learned so many things over the last 8 years I could write a book, lol. Welcome to marriage, lol. :)
kz

Angela Fielding said...

Well said Rachel! Not without getting to deep. But I heard once that the reason why marriage is ordained of God. Is because it's the only relationship where in we learn to be more like him- unselfish, unconditional love. I think that's why men and women need each other to grow, and reach our potential. We help each other stretch, and reach. Especially when your butt falls into the cold toilet water on the middle of the night. I have three boys, can you imagine how horrifying those trips can be for me in the middle of the night.LOL And you will also learn to have disinfective wipes sitting by every toilet in your household. Love your post. And your blog looks fabulous. I need help with mine. How do you get your backdrop in there. And your pictures so big?

Rachel Brooke said...

I absolutely LOVED reading all of your comments. It's nice to have such wise and God-fearing women reading my blog and helping me along the way. I'm humbled by each of your responses.

P.S. Angela- shoot me an e-mail and I will try to help you out!

Ashley said...

You may be younger, but your wisdom is far beyond your years. God continues to amaze me on how we met and how I know your life and marriage will continue to be an encouragement to me! Love ya sister, Ashley

Melissa Koehler said...

First of all, thanks for stopping by my blog. Next time come by my photo blog :)
Your images are gorgeous!
I am no expert by any means, but marriage gets easier as the years go by. Continue to pray for each other :)
big hugs!

Mary Marantz said...

wow! what a beautiful, beautiful post! and SOOOO true!! it's def an adjustment, but rolling to the middle and finding each other makes it all worth it!

xoxo
M:)

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

wow #6 is just incredible!

THE PARSONS said...

Image #6 is absolutely show stopping!!! HOLY MOSES!!! you did an incredible job on these!!

Julie Parker said...

Thanks so much for your comments! I absolutely LOVE the third image-beautiful light!

Ruby Rideout said...

Hi Rachel,
I can tell from your captures that you make the bride feel relaxed and comfortable with you. She looks happy and natural and you can see that thru your work. Beautiful~

Thanks, also, for visiting my blog.
-Ruby

kymberli q. said...

Awesome, awesome images, Rachel!!!!